The School follows a Christian ethos but is open to children of all races, genders, ethnicities, cultures and home languages.
The staff are well-trained and dynamic and value any residual hearing in the individual child and strive to promote word recognition and speech where possible.
The school provides academic, cultural, sporting, social and spiritual development for all scholars and has the objective of equipping them for life. Many alumni have gone on to lead happy, productive and successful lives.
In 1958, Mr and Mrs JK Fulton, then retired residents of Gillitts, Natal, generously donated the main house, ancillary buildings and a 10 acre plot to be used as a school for Deaf Children in Natal.
The sponsoring body was the Natal Diocese of the Anglican Church and the School opened on 31 January 1959 with an initial enrolment of 3. Within three years it had risen to 17.
Loans were provided by the Natal Provincial Department of Education, which enabled extensive additions to be made to the School infrastructure. By 1976, classrooms, additional freestanding hostels, a hall and office block had been added and the enrolment had reached 70, later to reach in excess of 100.
The Fulton School for the Deaf celebrated its Golden Anniversary in 2009.
The staff members are committed to setting high standards and strive for excellence in Deaf Education.